- Sylvia Plath was an American poet, a novelist, and a short story writer, born on 27, October 1932 in Boston, Massachusetts US.
- Her father, Otto Plath was an entomology
- Her mother, Aurelia Schober Plath was a second generation American of Austrian descent.
- She was highly known for the confession style in her work.
- Her IQ was 160.
- Her pen name was Victoria Lucas, because
- She started writing at very young age of eight.
- Boston Traveler was first poem published by her.
- Plath studied and graduated from Smith college in Massachusetts, and Cambridge England.
- By the time she arrived smith college, she wrote over 50 short stories published in raft magazines.
- At the smith college she majored in English and won many prizes and Scholarships.
- She was a great admirer of Dylan Thomas, W.B Yeats and Marianne Moore (she loved Dylan Thomas)
- She married Ted Hughes, a well- known poet in 1957, and had two children, Frieda Rebecca and Nicholas Ferrar in 1962.
- Soon, she left Ted Hughes with both the children knowing he has affair with Assia Wewill.
- After separation of her husband, Plath produced 40 poems of rage, despair and vengeance in less than two months.
- Plath was clinically depressed for most of her adult life, and treated with electroconvulsive therapy multiple times.
- She attempted many sucides because of her depression.
- On august 1953, she overdose on sleeping pills.
- On June 1962, she drove her car off the side of the road into a river.
- Eventually in 11 Feb, 1963 she killed herself at the age of 30, with carbon monoamine oxidase inhibitor poisonous on.
- Plath struggled with `insomnia`. And because of this she lost 20 pounds (9kg).
- She expresses her own condition in her poetry.
- She mentioned her depression, constant agitation, sucidal thoughts and inability to cope with daily life.
- She awarded with Pulitzer prize in 1982, for `the bell jar`.
- The colossus, 1960- 62
- The bell jar, 1963 and in us, 1971
- Double exposure, 1963
- Ariel, 1965 (after two year of her demise published by Ted Hughes)
- Lady Lazarus (she expresses her suicidal tendency beyond her limitation)
The Children of Sylvia Plath:
Daughter, Freida Rebecca is a writer and artist, and son Nicholas Ferrar hanged himself at his home in Fairbanks, Alaska following a history of depression in March 16, 2009.
2 thoughts on “Sylvia Plath: suicidal journey”